2018 Update

In typical fashion, I've gone quiet on this blog for several years but that doesn't mean I've been standing still. I recently updated my professional bio and it gives a good summary of what I've been up to the last few years...



Everyone has a story! Here’s mine: I was raised in the historic town of Saratoga Springs, New York where I earned an associate degree in marketing. In 2001 I moved to South Carolina where I earned a bachelor's degree in financial management, and a master's degree in counseling. I also earned my FINRA Series 7 and 66 securities registrations and went to work in the financial services industry. Based out of Charlotte, NC, I spent a year flying around the country, auditing financial advisors in the bank channel. I learned the intricacies of how advisor’s get paid and what the rules and regulations are governing their work.


After that I took a 3-year position as the Director of Marketing & Business Operations for an art museum in Greenville, SC. I learned a great appreciation for fine art and how to effectively manage the day to day business operations of an art museum.


In 2010 I moved to Charleston, SC where I took a position as a Registered Representative. I learned that I love helping people and that I hate selling things. I worked with young couples to assess their life insurance needs and help them build a foundation for their family for years to come. I learned a lot about the world of insurance and how it can be used in a person’s life to help them mitigate risk. It can be a very valuable tool.


In 2012 I took the position I currently hold as Practice Manager and Para-Planner for a boutique financial management firm. I learned how to process and service all types of investments including alternative assets. I worked with qualified and non-qualified accounts, single 401k’s, group 401k’s, variable annuities, all types of personal insurance, transfer of assets, and much more. I also learned how to manage a busy and productive financial firm with an ever-rotating staff. Most importantly, I learned the steps of financial planning and the importance of it in people’s lives. Half of my time is spent managing the office and the office workflow and half of my time is spent gathering client data, analyzing it, developing financial plans, updating financial plans, doing retirement analysis, doing education funding analysis, doing stock option analysis, reviewing client accounts, and more.


During my time at this firm, at the age of 35, I was diagnosed with Lymphoma, a blood cancer. My journey took me through many rounds of chemo, radiation, and an allogenic stem cell transplant in the first 12 months after diagnosis. Within 6 months from the transplant, my body rejected the stem cells and I began a 4-year journey to survive. While I am currently cancer free, I continue to fight the damage done to my body during treatment. I am grateful for the gift each day brings!


One of the things I have learned through the last few years is focus. I enjoy life and approach it full of zest and curiosity. I am passionate about helping people simplify and find freedom in their financial life. Time is short, and I love helping people make sense out of complexity and find the best use of their financial resources to meet their goals.  I’ve worked with both “middle class” and “very wealthy” people for almost 10 years, helping them with their finances. I am more convinced than ever, as my dad taught me, that it’s not what you have that counts; it’s what you do with what you have that really counts. I'm passionate about transforming the complex into simple and accessible steps. This year I enrolled at the College of Charleston & the College for Financial Planning and am pursuing my CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERtm professional designation. My goal is to obtain this certification in March 2019 and be able to focus full time on financial planning work.


I also need times to disconnect and recharge. While my health continues to be a journey for me, what I know about myself is that I love to learn, and learning allows me to relax and reset myself. I love to pursue training in areas I am passionate about. Since my diagnosis I have become a certified yoga teacher and a certified nutritional counselor. I am passionate about health, eating real food, and moving in healthy ways. In my spare time, I continue to pursue additional certifications in these fields. I also love my community. In the last few years I completed my local citizens policy academy, made the time to become a “regular” at my favorite local cafĂ©, and actively volunteer in the arts and education/empowerment fields in my community. I love teaching cooking classes for the Lowcountry Food Bank and play an active leadership role on the training council for the Junior League of Charleston. When I can, I mentor for the MUSC Healthy Charleston Challenge program. This year, I joined Tri it for Life and have become part of the women’s triathlon community. This year I traveled to Europe for the first time and enjoyed spending 2 weeks exploring the beauty of Italy. Next year I am planning on spending 3 weeks exploring Austria, the Swiss Alps, and re-visiting Italy.


I think I can summarize by quoting my favorite wellness warrior, Jessica Ainscough. She said, "I believe that wellness is not a destination, but a lifelong conversation. It’s a commitment, a relationship, and a communion with your body — for better or for worse, in sickness and in health. And above all, it’s a decision to treat ourselves with absolute kindness & respect. To treasure our lives. Nourish our bodies. And take nothing for granted.” I agree with Jessica, and I believe that in all areas of our life, with gratefulness to the One who gives life, grace, and hope for each day, we should treasure our lives, nourish our bodies, and take nothing for granted.