Day 7: Have you ever tried to force a rose to blossom?

One of my weaknesses has always been patience. I vacillate between the two extremes of complete patience where you enjoy the slow development of life and that stereotypical NY'er in me that enjoys life in the fast lane when we're going 90 miles an hour and processing 12 things at once. The same seems to be true now. At least I'm consistent :) I am SO grateful for how this process is going for me but I am also waiting, waiting, and waiting some more. I haven't been able to do much more than move around the house and go on a few light walks. However I am not bed-ridden or worse yet, stuck in a hospital for weeks or even months. I am waiting for my body to either go into complete hysterics and be hospitalized or I am waiting for my body to slowly start accepting my brother's stem cells and start telling them where they are needed in my body. See, even in this I am bossing my little brother around :) So far, my body seems to be taking the slow approach and I'm learning to be grateful and enjoy the ride :)

My immune system is 7 days old today! I am very grateful to report that I just saw my doctor and he said I've responded way ahead of the curve so far. I have experienced many common side effects but haven't experience the myriad of serious side effects that are so common with this process.

Tomorrow will make 2 weeks since I went into the hospital and started my pre-treatment chemo. It will also mark 1 week since I've been out of the hospital. I was told by many that there was a 100% certainty that I would be re-hospitalized within days. Although that could still happen, it hasn't happened yet. I go to the clinic each morning and get my blood drawn and wait to hear the results. So far, I haven't even needed an infusion of any kind, although to day may be the exception.

I am doing good! :) I am tired but am so grateful for how things are going so far. It has been a joy to be able to stay at home during this process. My blood counts are literally almost 0. This is good as it means that my body's cells are almost gone. We're waiting on my body to start accepting my brother's cells at this point. They said this could happen around day 10-15, so about Saturday to early next week. Of course, there are a whole new set of negative and serious side effects that could happen during that time, but I am going to take 1 day at a time and be grateful for it. Once my blood counts start going up it means that my body has accepted my brother's stem cells and are using them in place of mine. I do think I will still lose my hair. It seems to be in the pre-stage to that now.

I was reminded the other night, by watching a simple TV program, of the importance of gratefulness. A truly thankful heart can endure anything and accomplish much. The show was Undercover Boss and one of the workers was working the night shift in what I would assume was a minimum wage paying position. He worked hard delivering goods to a chain of stores. He was an immigrant and was so thankful for America and the American Dream, he couldn't say how thrilled he was with his job. He just couldn't smile any bigger. His heart was truly thankful. It reminded me so much of my dear grandmother who was one of the greatest living examples I've seen of a truly thankful heart. I guess the point is, that it really doesn't matter what you are going through or what your circumstances are. If you have a thankful heart you are happy and contented with life, realizing that it could always be worse and that no matter how bad it is, you have it pretty good. I do have many things to be thankful for in this process but regardless, I hope I will always have the kind of thankfulness that brings hope, joy and peace with your circumstances.

Thank you for your prayers and support and stay tuned!!!