The chickens are here!!!

Welcome Bettylou and Mabel :)

(pics to follow...didn't have alot of time for photoshoots this weekend!)

Their first 24 hours were exhausting but they are settling in now and hopefully warming up to their new home.

I brought them home Saturday and put them in their pen. I checked on them a few times during the afternoon and they seemed to be fine. I decided to check one last time at dusk and went out at 5:30pm to find them running around my backyard. Instant panic! It's getting dark, I know nothing about chickens, I'm tired and weak from my infusion and I have 2 full grown chickens running around my backyard. And so the fun begins....

After chasing them around my yard and my neighbors yard for an hour, I was able to  herd them into my shed for the night. I knew it wasn't the best place for them but it was the best option at the moment. It was too dark to see how they got out of their pen and I couldn't leave them running around the neighborhood. I put their food and water in the shed and locked them up for the night.

When I checked on them the next morning they were doing just fine. I called a friend and asked if she could come help me move them from the shed to the coop (easier said than done!). Neither one of us are chicken experts and we spent the next 7 hours chasing them in and out of the shed, around my yard and my neighbors yard. As it turned out, I was able to meet my neighbors on the other side of the street off my back property. They also have backyard chickens and were very hepful in getting them herded back into their pen. They also lent supplies and helping hands to tighten up the coop and prevent the girls from getting out or anything from getting in. What a great gift amid the craziness!!!

I checked on them every few hours up until 8pm. My other neighbors were sending up fireworks and I thought for sure it would spook the girls but they did just fine. I went out this morning and was elated to find them safe and sound! I gave them a blueberry muffin for surviving their first 24 hours :)